ABOUT PRINT STEM
Among the causes of early drop-out from upper secondary school by students with a low level of basic competences, there is a failure in the learning of mathematical and scientific literacy competences and, more generally, of formal and coded languages. Mathematics and other scientific subjects are often perceived by students as something abstract, unrelated to their daily experiences and perceptions. This disconnect leads to lack of interest towards such disciplines and to progressive abandonment of subjects that provide an important asset in the European labour market, which is a market that offers many employment possibilities to people with those skills.
For this reason, it is fundamental to develop new teaching methods that promote interest and motivation for mathematics and scientific disciplines.
The purpose of project PRINT STEM (Pedagogical Resources IN Teaching Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) is to develop, including through the transfer and adaptation of best practices from partner countries that have already experienced in their effectiveness within their school systems, training programs and related devices for use replicable 3D printers (a technology that enables three-dimensional printing of objects, starting from a graphic representation in 3D), for encourage innovation in teaching in secondary schools.
In order to achieve this the partners will:
– identify the hypothesis of profitable use of 3D printing technology in relation to specific critical points in the learning curriculum of the literacy skills of mathematics and science,
– establish an interdisciplinary school team and familiarize teachers in the subject areas involved in experimenting with 3D printing technology,
– implement pupil-led experimentation in methods of project work, which aims to cover the entire production process of an object (experimentation will be released as OER),
– implement teacher-led experimentation of mathematical and scientific literacy skills, according to a disciplinary logic of experimental teaching and a logic didactic experimentation (experimentation will be released as OER).
The project runs from September 2014 to August 2016
The leading partner is the technology institute Instituto Tecnico Industriale Statale „A. Berenini“ from Italy. Other partners are from 7 european countries:
- Centro Servizi PMI Soc. Cons. a r.l., Instituto di Istruzione Superiore Statale „Carlo Emilio Gadda“ and Forma Futuro Soc. Cons. a r.l. (Italy)
- Kirkby Stephen Grammar School (United Kingdom)
- Danmar computers (Poland)
- Associación de Investigación de la Industria del Juguette, Conexas y Afines (Spain)
- Sabanci Kiz Teknik Ve Meslek Lisesi (Turkey)
- 1 Epal of Chania (Greece)
- Evropská rozvojová agentura (Czech Republic)